Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Peace in the Jungle

It's evening here in my jungle hut and I'm feeling a deep sense of peace. This morning I did my 3 hour work trade of moving rocks and putting them onto the floor of my hut. It was hard work, and I became very hungry, but now that I'm in my bad I feel very calm and grateful.

After my work, and realizing that I had no food I decided to bike over to the abandoned fruit farm to see if I could find it this time. I spent about 3 hours exploring the trees and coming to know my more primal side. I felt so wild and so right out there in the jungle. It was a beautiful experience. Unfortunately the only ripe things there were avocados, and there will millions of them! I must have stood beneath 20 different trees, each loaded with more fruit than you can imagine. I didn't bring any avocados home since I don't eat them, but I may get some for the community next time. Of the off season, or not quite ripe yet fruits I found chupa chupa, a few citrus trees, jackfruit(so excited!), guava, mangoes, cacao(I would eat the fruit, not the seed, and it's supposed to be creamy and taste like strawberries), and some others which I didn't recognize. I felt high being there. It is where I belong.

Shells on the lava beach

The beach at sunrise


My floor which I've been redoing. Underneath is jusr bare dirt.
This little guy dug a hole in my persimmon and sticks his head in for the nectar.

Close up of the fruit theif. He loves sugar as much as me:)

Free avocados. One of many trees

Guava, almost ripe

Chupa chupa. I've never had it, but can't wait. There were 3 huge trees of them. Should be ripe eventually?

2 other kinds of avos I found on the forest floor

baby jackfruits(or champedaks, or maybe even MARANG!)

Strange fruit which was at the end of its season, a little rotten, but like an apple

Life:)

Red cacao

just like christmas tree ornaments

Green cacao

Yellow cacao

the only citrus tree I found, with only one fruit. Suppossedly there are more. I need to keep exploring:)

No comments: