Saturday, February 25, 2012

Paradise Found

















Yesterday was unbelievably beautiful. We took the bus along the coast, through Kapoho, and Kalapana. Words can't describe the paradise we found there. A lot of the photos are from there, but just snapshots as we drove along. I could have spent years walking the roads. The sky was so blue, and it reflected just as brightly on the ocean. Palm trees lined the entire coast, with tropical jungle encroaching on all the properties. For the past year I have dreamed of finding my home on the Kalapana coast, but it was more than I ever could have expected. It will be soon that I find my place there. Nothing can stop me now.

Today me and Rowenna went to the Hilo farmers market. Saturdays are always magical. I'll mention right away that there was fresh durian...but I didn't buy any. I had already bought a ton of new fruits and it was really expensive, but I'll get some yet, I promise. Ok, so here's how it went: First I bought a chocolate sapote. It's in the persimmon family, but instead of being red inside it is the color and texture of chocolate mousse. It even tasted quite chocolatey. Very sweet and delicious:) I also saw baskets full of jackfruits which were certainly over 20 pounds each. I ended up buying just a 5 pound chunk and sharing it with Rowenna on the street corner. It was a soft one, tasted very much like bubblegum. I brought the rest home and ate it for dinner(in one of the photos). The same vendor had a champedak, suppossedly better than jackfruit, and closer to durian! It's the huge fruit I'm holding in another photo. I haven't tried it yet, but it smells like durian. I'm so excited! I got some chico sapotes(brown sugar fruit), more mameys(tastes like pumpkin pie, very rich. The one I bought a week ago is almost ripe, just in time to have with Row for breakfast before she leaves). Oh, I also got two huge soursops(in the same family as cherimoya, but more sour. Still very sweet and creamy though.)

I'm amazed at the life I'm living here. I literally don't think I could dream of something sweeter. I know Rowenna is leaving tomorrow, but my time in solitude will be very powerful, and probably necessary. I need some time to look within, see where my path is in this life. But I'm happy now, more than I've been for a very long time.

No comments: